Distorting my images

I decided to play around with more of my images after doing the experimentation with glitch art. I decided the distort tool on photoshop would be enough for what I wanted, as I don't want to completely erase the style or form of the image, only to reshape it in a way that confuses the viewer.
The reasoning behind this distortion is because I believe the way that we believe these things are annoying at the time kind of distorts out minds from the bigger picture. In the bigger picture, this annoyace is nothing. When people are starving in our own country and others, when all the politics (in my opinion) are going downhill, when women have less opportunities than men, when transgender people are being erased by their own president. In the big picture, this is nothing. Yet it's annoying at at the moment of the happening it does to me feel like a bigger thing than it is.





These images are of the crayon, drain, pill packet and shoe. The distortions make it so the form of the image isn't as outrightly recognisable, however upon a closer look I believe each subject is distinguishable with effort. There are certain shapes in each that allows the viewer to determine this, with perhaps the image of the drain being the most difficult to perceive.
The images have had a number of different distortion effects on them but none so crazy as to eliminate any of the initial meaning behind the image. The images still appear to be dramatised and the objects are still inconveniences.
The toning of these images aren't cinematic however, as I didn't want to pile too much on one photo.
The images before the distortions were rather beautiful in a simple way, with the form of the subject being distorted this is somewhat erased. The soft curves, the fine details, the smoothness of the images are gone and the feeling of the images has evolved into something more chaotic and messy.

I think these images are visually interesting but perhaps not too fitting with my work. Using this work means changing the ideologies behind it and I don't want to do that as I feel my initial idea is stronger and that the meaning behind these edits just aren't as powerful and feel a bit forced.  I feel that my work fits a more traditional approach, which is why I won't be using these edits.

Comments