Shoot 4

In this shoot I shot very similarly to the last two shoots with a singular light in a dark setting.


This image is a reshoot of the one of the first subjects I shot without the darkened background in shoot one. While it's still not my favourite from the shoots I massively prefer it to the first of this type.
This photo has already been edited in photoshop and toned within lightroom as i'm using the exact same techniques as the previous shoots I have done by simply making the temperature cooler. 
The image depicts and empty pill packet and I feel that this is more relatable in the slightest as it's an ibuprofen packet which is consumed more than the heartburn tablets in the first version of this image. While the name of the medicine isn't hugely visible part of the peeled up foil shows the letting 'ibup' which I feel the viewer can auto complete for themselves.
This image hasn't got as much shadow as the others have so I may end up reshooting this again. I of course tried a range of lighting positions however none of them made a shadow fall beneath the packet as I would have desired.
Upon further contemplation I believe this was due to the blanket I placed it on as it was black and fairly fluffy which I not believe to have absorbed some of the light.
I decided to focus on the flap of the foil because it shows clearly the emptiness and draws attention to the fact it's opened. This particular area of the image is also a good point of contrast in the image which further makes obvious that the package has been opened.
The contrast is high, with shadows falling inside the dips of the pill packaging.
This image being darker means that it gives the audience next to no context of the placement or location of the subject meaning that in a way it doesn't exist in a singular place, rather than just being 'there'. In my other images you can at least see the texture of the surface it lays upon.


This image is a new concept for the project. This in a way symbolises the emotional struggle of life and our breaking point. The series being about minor inconveniences and the way they can affect us emotionally ties into this idea hand in hand. I chose a red crayon to shoot because of the connotations with the colour; love, hatred, rage, passion etc. Both negative and positive emotions that will be seen differently depending on the viewer and their mood that day. However to me with the theme of the work in mind this is more about the breaking point of anger; this is because while minor inconveniences can often be ignored when they all pile on top of each other it does cause me to feel angry.
I feel that this would be the perfect image to end the series on, as the viewer will be taken through a series of inconveniences and then the last image is the breaking point. This helps me create a narrative without need for human interaction
I appreciate how you can see the roughness of the broken inside in comparison to the smooth outside of the crayon, if feels as if it's showing how you appear to others vs how you feel. While this isn't directly appropriate to my image it is interesting as to how it can represent a person.
This image could also represent the end of childhood, with the crayon being a popular tool for children's art. It being broken shows progression and the end of its time. 
All in all this image is a lot more deep to me than the others. I feel that I took this image without realising the full meaning and it came to me as I was editing.
The edit of this complies with the style of the other images, with the temperature being made more cool, however this didn't work as strongly as some of the others because of the choice of colour on the crayon. It was much harder to find the right balance of blue and green that it was on some of the other images however I feel that I did find the spot in between the both that I am happy with and makes for a cinematic feeling while also feeling quite daunting.


This is the final image from this shoot. it depicts a broken phone charger as the only subject in the image which draws attention to the situation at hand. At first it seems rather trivial however when you think about it a lot of our lives are on our phones and this exact situation can compromise our whole daily routine, our responsibilities, our communication and our entertainment which we do rely upon most days as people in a first world country.
The lighting in this allows for the exposed metal part of the  charging cable which highlights the issue and then allows for the viewer to relate to this situation
I think the contrast in tones really benefits the image because it helps the lead stand out against the black.
After showing my classmates they all said this is the image they can relate to most and had a laugh about. I feel that because it's not happening to the person at the moment they can see the humour in it, as well as knowing that it's not the end of the world and it is just an annoyance.
I edited the image to have a high contrast and to draw more attention to the shadow of the end of the lead which wasn't as prominent in the raw image.
As always i did experiment with different angles and lighting and i felt that this was the strongest option because the light illuminates all of the lead well, particularly the broken part and the bit that goes in the phone which was my priority so i could make the imagery as familiar as possible to the viewer.


Comments