Shoot 6

I shot two more subjects today for my sixth shoot. The first is of toothpaste on a tshirt, and the second is a parking ticket.

I decided to take photographs of the toothpaste on the tshirt because this is something that has happened to me recently, either on my tshirt or in the sink.
I felt it was important to make sure that it was clear that it was a tshirt, or the context would be erased and therefore so would any chance of the image being relatable.


I think this lighting worked really well with the subject as it really shows off the textures, which allows for a viewer to be able to distinguish what it is they're looking at. I chose to put the toothpaste on the neckline of the tshirt because it's one of the most distinguishable part of the tshirt. I also really enjoy how the darkness creeps in from the left side because it creates that dramatic, mysterious mood that my other images have, while also working aesthetically together because of the darkness.
This is a situation that often happens when i'm in a rush and it ends up making me even more late because I have to clean up. I think that this is a common mistake and inconvenience to a lot of people because it's something that is very universal as everybody brushes their teeth and most people twice a day, meaning there's a lot of opportunity for this to go wrong.
I also really like the smudge on the tshirt where you can see that there was toothpaste there but it's been wiped off, because it implies that the person this happened to, like me, also felt the need to clean it up.
I debated having somebody wear the tshirt but I decided to have it without because I like how the series so far has no people in it but implies human interaction, with all the objects shown being things that we as people use and make.
This image has the cinematic filters over it that i've been using for the rest of the images, and I really like the contrast between the red tshirt and the cool blue/green highlights on the shirt and of course the toothpaste, which just gives the image a little more tonal and colour contrast and making it pop a bit more.


This one is less universal than the one above because not everybody drives. In fact, I don't drive and this is't my parking ticket. However, I have experienced this almost second hand with my boyfriend and parents having this exact thing happen to them and I am able to empathise and feel the inconvenience, and if I am able to feel this second hand I presume a viewer can too.
The lighting was placed to the side of the ticket to enhance the wrinkles on the packaging, causing more contrast and therefore more intensity and mystery to the image.
The colours in this image work really well with the blue/green toning that I apply to my images because the yellows and whites don't fight the cool toning as other colours like red do. It enhances the cinematic feeling and the drama. This image has a feel of dread to it too, perhaps because this is slightly more serious of a situation.
Depending on the person, this could be very serious or not serious at all, often depending on income. I feel if this was a speeding ticket this wouldn't make the cut because it can put points on your license which can cause you to lose it, which is much more serious than having to pay a fine.

Overall i'm really happy with this shoot. I know there aren't many subjects in each shoot however I prefer to take time to think of the ideas.
I think I just need to keep shooting so I have more variety to pick from when I come to choose my final images, and these are strong contenders.

Comments