Presentation ideas.

With two weeks left until hand in it's important for me to think about my presentation for my images.
I have known from the beginning I want my work to be printed because it's more traditional and I have no reason to present it another way. I don't think I should present in a way that's less traditional just because I can, i'd want there to be a reason for it. Having the images in print would allow the images to be viewed on a wall, in a physical form, which I like.
With a bit of thinking, I have decided that I want a lot of my images to be shown, with perhaps 9 or 12 images in  a grid.

I decided this because this amount wouldn't be too overwhelming and will allow for the images to be seen as both individuals and a whole, which I think is important because if the images aren't able to be viewed singularly then the message isn't conveyed properly. While have more images could show how overwhelmed the person all this is happening to would feel, the viewer is likely to just brush over the presentation. Sometimes less is more, and I really don't want the presentation to bore anybody. I feel that 9 or 12 is a good number where they can see each image separately but also be able to see the relevance of them all being together and appreciate them as a series.

Why 9 or 12? why not, say 11? Simply because of how I want to present. I like things to be equal and confined, and so I want the images to be in a grid. While this may come as a surprise because my image is all about the inconvenient, I think that the images and series themselves will be stronger if they're easy to view. It's a contrast between the perfect and the imperfect. Having 9 or 12 images will allow me to either have a 3x3 grid or 3x4 grid. I'm leaning towards the 3x3 grid because it's more symmetrical and easy on the eye. If there's less distractions in presentation then the viewer can focus on the content of the images.

Although in my idea proposal I decided I wanted the images to be framed, I'm not sure that's either necessary or feasible. While I haven't spent much of my budget at all my financial circumstances have changed and buying frames for 9 / 12 images is going to simply cost far too much. Additionally, not having the frames will allow the eyes to flow from one image the the next in a more natural manner, without having a border to contain the images the images may work better as a series.
I plan on mounting on mount board with no border, having the images on the entire space.

To visualise my ideas I created some templates in photoshop;


Here I wanted to experiment with keeping alongside the imperfect theme. I used images of different sizes in a non logical order or position. I thought this would help generate the emotions of things being as they're not supposed to be, as we want everything to be in order in perfect. And while I think it definitely does that, it doesn't really allow the images to be 'seen'. Sure, a viewer can look at them but I feel that the presentation is just too distracting and doesn't feel as serious as I would have liked. It's definitely an idea to keep in mind however i'm just not convinced it's the best choice.
Perhaps having everything so out of order starts making the project too gimmicky.



I actually made this image while deciding whether I wanted my images in black and white or colour, and I think it works rather well. Of course this is simply an experiment as I may not use these specific images, and i'm hoping to be able to do at least two more shoots before I print.
However, this collage has helped me think about what images I may want where, briefly. I decided I want the crayon to be at the end, because the clear snap shows the breaking point in the narrative; it ends with it all being too much, with these little annoying things building up and up until the person this is happening to just breaks.
Because all of the subjects are of different size and shape, the lighting is different for each one. Some images have more of a spotlight effect whereas some don't. I decided to place the spotlight images in a symmetrical way, with having one in each top corner and the third in the middle on the bottom row. This symmetry will ensure that the images aren't horrible to look at as a series, as I said before, I don't want the presentation to distract anybody from the content.
I also had the phone charger on the right hand side as to ensure that the lead coming into frame looked natural. Having it in the middle or on the left would make it so the lead was coming in from the edge of another photo and would be displeasing to the eye, and again, would be a distraction.
I put the tshirt in the middle of the collage because it's the image that takes up most of the frame. Having it in the middle keeps the series balanced.

As for size, I don't think the prints should be too large nor too small. In my head around A4, maybe a little bigger would work perfectly. This allows each image to be seen on it's own easily, as well as taking in the series as a whole in one gaze.

I'm not too sure on whether I want glossy or matte as of yet, I think glossy would be preferred at this moment but I'll do a test with each one when the time comes.





Comments