Editing Shoot 1 to be more cinematic

As I currently don't have access to a DSLR, I have decided to edit my previous photos in a more cinematic way to see whether I prefer this or not.
As my references for a 'cinematic style' I have mostly used the work of Melanie Pullen in terms of toning.

Her work is very dramatic. I feel that for full effect for my images I'll have to use studio lights, however I also do not have access to them either so I'll be using the images with the in built camera flash that I had previously.
To make these adjustments I went into lightroom with the previously photoshopped images. This was because I have a lot of premade filters in there already, and I have already edited the main parts of the image to be the way I liked them.

After Filter

Before Filter

For this image, I tinted the image a slight blue/green for the cinematic colour filter that you would see in the work of Melanie Pullen. Mine isn't quite so bold as hers but I feel that hers was mostly green before post anyhow, the artificial light appears tinted. 
I used a filter from OnOne (https://www.on1.com/free/lightroom-presets/) called Arkham. I then changed the temperature and some minor adjustments.





The resulting image is much more dramatic than how it was before. I feel that this is the way i'd like to go with the rest of my images.
It represents how dramatic and how big of a deal it can feel to us even when in reality it's not that drastic at all; sometimes it's the little things. I personally sometimes feel like everything that can go wrong does go wrong, but that's because I focus on these inconveniences. These minor things can end up feeling like something just wants to ruin your day. The little things do add up and can be the straw on the camel's back. 
I feel like this is perhaps the way my project should start facing. The only thing is, will I be sacrificing the comedic undertone or will it still be there?
I need to play with taking more images with studio lights and editing them in this more cinematic way to see how the project will evolve.



I then copied and pasted the effects and changes from the first images to the next two images. I then changed the minor things such as slight exposure changed in order to get the image how I desired.



I definitely prefer all of the images with this dramatisation applied because it makes them seem far more in depth, mysterious and over dramatised, which is the point because it reflects how we feel about these things at the time.

I'm going to hopefully shoot more images with studio lights and try to improve on this.

Comments